Pick the Best Rafting Stretch in Rishikesh as per your Skill Level
Paddling through the gushing rapids of the emerald Ganges parallel to mystifying Garhwal Himalayas, is certainly an ecstasy that is dream-like. This out-of-the-world ecstasy can be felt in the pristine and exquisite land of Rishikesh. River rafting is one of the most exciting adventures that can be enjoyed on an adventure trip with friends, family or alone; and Rishikesh is certainly one of the most sought-after destinations for it.
Rishikesh is an ideal spot for a river rafting tour, no matter whether you are a novice or an expert in rafting. The different rafting stretches available for rafters make it easy for them to make a choice as per their skill level. Scroll down to get the information about different rafting stretches and rapid grades that will make it easy for you to select a stretch that is perfectly apt for you.
What are the different Rafting Stretches in Rishikesh?
- Brahampuri to Rishikesh: This stretch measures 9 kilometers and is best suited for novice rafters. Around 1.5 to 2 hours expedition of Grade I and Grade II rapids offer enough stimulation to old people, kids and families. Revitalizing water and pleasant breeze on the stretch augment the delight of the excursion and takes the fun of rafting to the next level. The rapids that one may encounter on this stretch include Sweet Sixteen, Body Surfing, Terminator, Hilton and Double Trouble.
- Shivpuri to Rishikesh: It is a stretch of intermediate difficulty level. This 16 kilometers stretch offers the rapids of Grade II and III. The major rapids that come during the expedition are Roller Coaster, Return to Sender, Double Trouble and Golf Course. The gushing rapids make the rafter’s heart skip a beat. A neither too easy nor difficult stretch, Shivpuri to Rishikesh, tenders a gripping mix of ease and thrill. This stretch is best for second timers, adventure freaks and youngsters in search of additional thrill in rafting trip.
- Marine Drive to Rishikesh: Difficult yet full of exhilaration, Marine Drive to Shivpuri stretch offers a ride filled with thrills and spills. This stretch encompasses the rapids of Grade II and III. It is a 24-kilometer stretch that takes around 4.5 to 5 hours in completion. After Shivpuri, the stretch becomes less challenging and an adventurer can relax to savor the breathtaking ambiance. Among the 14 rapids that come en route, the major are Black Money, Cross Fire, Golf Course and Three Blind Mice. It is a perfect stretch for rafters with some experience.
- Kaudiyala to Rishikesh: Meant strictly for the veterans of rafting, Kaudiyala to Rishikesh rafting stretch brings out the excitement at its best. This 36 kilometer long rafting stretch includes one of the most challenging rapids ‘The Wall’. The Wall is a VI+ Grade rapid and requires a lot of effort, strength and determination. The rapids that come on the way of the rafter during the expedition are highly challenging. Even the expert rafters become anxious by the strenuous rapids on the route. Other than ‘The Wall’, the prominent rapids en route are Eddy Whirlpool and Daniel’s Dip.
What are the Different Grades of Rapids in Rishikesh?
The rapids of the river are divided into the grades according to the level of challenge it offers. There are in total six grades of rapids. However, there are only five rapids available in Rishikesh. Here is the description of those five rapids proffered by the emerald Ganges in Rishikesh:
- Grade I: In terms of navigation, it is the easiest grade. The streams are of mild velocity and almost no risk is involved in the rapids of this grade.
- Grade II: The rapids of this grade hold rocks or obstacles that are notably apart and offer a clean passage and easy maneuver.
- Grade III: These rapids are technical in nature and necessitate fine judgment on the part of the guide. Rapids of this grade are reasonably adventurous.
- Grade IV: The rapids of this grade tender the actual excitement of river rafting; the rapids are strong enough to topple the raft. Therefore, these rapids can be difficult. “The Great Wall” is a well-known Grade IV rapid in the Kaudiyala rafting stretch.
- Grade V: These rapids can be rather dangerous. An adventurer will be fortunate to get through them without getting toppled by the tough waves. “The Hillary Fall” in the Alaknanda River Rafting Stretch is the lone Grade V rapid found on Chamoli – Rishikesh Rafting trip.
List of Rapids in Rishikesh
Here are the names of the rapids through which an avid rafter transverses during the river rafting tour in Rishikesh:
- Daniel’s Dip (Grade 3+)
- The Great Wall (Grade 4)
- Three Blind Mice (Grade 3)
- Black Money (Grade 1)
- Cross Fire (Grade 3)
- Shivpuri Rapid (Grade 2+)
- Sweet Sixteen (Grade 1)
- Good Morning (Grade 1)
- Roller coaster (Grade 3)
- Golf Course (Grade 3)
- Club House (Grade 2)
- Initiation (Grade 2)
- Body Surfing (Grade 1)
- Return to Sender (Grade 3)
- Double Trouble (Grade 2)
- Hilton (Grade 2)
- Terminator (Grade 2)
These rapids are of distinct grades and ensure the best rafting experience.
What is the best time to carry out Rafting Expedition in Rishikesh?
The best seasons for carrying out rafting in Rishikesh is from mid February to May and then from Mid September to November.
Without a doubt, Rishikesh offers a stimulating and rejuvenating rafting experience to novices and experts alike. A rafter should understand his capability. Once you know what the level of your expertise is, it becomes easy for you to choose a rafting stretch that is best suited among the assorted options available in the adventure capital of India.
- 1. Important Things to Consider While River Rafting
- 2. 5 Things to Keep in Mind while going for Rafting
- 3. Rishikesh: The Yoga & Meditation Centre in India
- 4. How to Prepare Yourself for a River Rafting Trip?
- 5. Marine Drive to Rishikesh River Rafting Guide: An Expedition offering Utter Jubilation
- 6. What to expect from River Rafting in Rishikesh?
- Important Things to Consider While River Rafting
- 5 Things to Keep in Mind while going for Rafting
- Rishikesh: The Yoga & Meditation Centre in India
- How to Prepare Yourself for a River Rafting Trip?
- Marine Drive to Rishikesh River Rafting Guide: An Expedition offering Utter Jubilation
- What to expect from River Rafting in Rishikesh?